AER9 Laser Rifle

Post your BIONICLE MOCs here.

AER9 Laser Rifle

13 Oct 2015, 19:49 #1

Bet you weren't expecting to see something from me!

So as you've all probably gathered, I've hit something of a slump in LDD with the bigger projects (mostly because I look at what to do, have no idea where to start and get overwhelmed by the scale and (in one case) the standard I've set myself). So, I decided a little side project would get the creative juices flowing again. Will it succeed? Time will tell.

Anyway, armed with the desire to actually finish one of these big projects for once and Fallout 4 hype, I've remade my favourite addition Bethesda has made to the series: A Fallout 3/New Vegas-era AER9:

1st Person perspective
Roughly front-on view of the other side
Better shot of the grip and the firing mechanism
Roughly top-down view of the other side
Quick recolour to closer resemble the Fallout 4 iteration

(For those with a better understanding of what the weapon actually looks like in Fallout: I couldn't get the diagonal ridges in the front and back of the rectangular section looking right, so I left them out.)
It's not illegal, it's just cheating.

I'm into exam time right now... I'll be checking up frequently, but I don't expect to be posting in the next two weeks or so unless something really catches my eye.

15 Oct 2015, 02:57 #2

I don't think I got far enough in new Vegas to see that gun. That is some very impressive work, If you didn't say it was an LDD I might have mistaken a picture or two for an actual 3D render. Well, a render of the gun and not a render of bricks put together to make the gun.
Please keep text and images well managed so they do not become an eyesore, and please only quote or talk about others in your signiture if its alright with the member you are talking about. Want your work featured on our front page? Post it in my to do list!

15 Oct 2015, 15:05 #3

Thanks, Immy. I was surprised it came together as gapless as it did - very pleased with it.

Actually, this was one of the FIRST guns I got in my first New Vegas playthrough - The dead Bright Brotherhood Ghouls you find under billboards and bridges, and in coyote dens have a chance of spawning with them and the very first one (in Goodsprings Cave) dropped one. They're all guaranteed to drop any one of: laser/plasma/recharger pistol/rifle or a laser RCW.

Also, edited last link so it actually links to the correct image.

I'm into exam time right now... I'll be checking up frequently, but I don't expect to be posting in the next two weeks or so unless something really catches my eye.

22 Oct 2015, 03:10 #4

I wonder if you could make some money by monetizing videos of those on youtube, maybe do a screen capture of them rotating and talking about the design process? A bunch of websites are covering Fallout 4, so they'd probably get you some exposure. These certainly look professional enough to make it to high profile game news sites.
Please keep text and images well managed so they do not become an eyesore, and please only quote or talk about others in your signiture if its alright with the member you are talking about. Want your work featured on our front page? Post it in my to do list!

26 Oct 2015, 22:40 #5

As flattering as that is, I really wouldn't have any content for the video other than the model itself. The "design process" really's just "get some good reference shots, scale with the hand of that LDD Nuara, make sure everything's flush at the vertical axis of symmetry and wing it."

One of the reasons I take so long just getting around to building when I'm doing stuff at this scale is that it's impossible to plan ahead in any great detail- you can get measurements all laid out (didn't use 'em for this - figured they'd just get in the way) but you really can't tell where gaps are going to be, what's going to block what from moving and exactly what kind of pieces can fit what kinds of holes (mercifully, the AER9 is all right angles). Not knowing what issues are going to show up in the future is both daunting and what I'd consider the draw of building like this.

Once I'm in my stride it's a really great way to do things, but often I just don't know where to start.

12 Nov 2015, 06:29 #6

How about recording the actual start-to-finish build in LDD?

Also, Starcraft 2, Legacy Of The Void came out the same day as Fallout 4 and I had to make a choice. I'm guessing you got F4? Be sure to introduce a few supermutant skulls to some shotgun pellets for me XP

12 Feb 2016, 14:33 #7

I'd done progress screenshots in several other builds. Unfortunately all unfinished ones at this point but generally this is actually what I do. That big ol' Nathek has them in its brickshelf folder here but this one seemed simple enough that I didn't take all that many, and didn't upload any of them.

And on another note - it took me until my second playthrough to actually realise the awesome power of the combat shotgun. All the sneak/crit perks + Le Fusil Terribles modded to be silenced makes a pretty devastating gun indeed. Do have an automatic laser rifle dubbed "the tickler" that's built around its legendary perk that does 30 points of stacking bleed over time for every shot, so I gave it the fastest automatic barrel and a beam splitter so it does a tiny amount of damage with every beam, but after a few seconds the target just melts. I'd considered building it in LDD, but LDD doesn't do circles very well and I felt the result would just be disappointing. Do have something else more immediately in the works, but I'm winging it so there may be revisions coming.

11 Mar 2016, 22:02 #8

Imatron @ Oct 15 2015, 02:57 AM wrote: ...I might have mistaken a picture or two for an actual 3D render...
Funny, Cause I actually did mistake it for a 3d render. Honestly, it's been ages since I've used LDD (I only have it on my parents' computer, because I can't find it anywhere for dowload to put on my own). I can't say I really know the game its from, but that's one of the best renders I've seen of a weapon like that.

Too bad you can't buy LDD stuff anymore, eh?
I'll twist hakann's head so far he can stare himself in the eye
-Vezok

'Yo, yo Piraka' is still alive!!!