All our ideas

Ask questions and provide feedback about Mask Of Destiny here.

All our ideas

25 Jul 2011, 23:40 #1

Well I've seen two topics on how people want to advertise this site... why not put em all into one? Like this topic. :P

So how do you plan on advertising MoD, and what do you think would make more people want to join?
Who's a silly pony?

26 Jul 2011, 02:21 #2

I don't think it is such a good idea. We might get meanies coming to MoD. I mean, that is the whole reason why I left another "LEGO" "Bionicle" "fan" forum site just recently. *cough cough*tTH3 *cough cough*
It is fine the way it is. Small and happy. :)

26 Jul 2011, 02:59 #3

And so we make another "how do we get more people here topic in response" XP

I personaly dont want to go on an all out avdertising campeign. I think the best way to build the community is to get the community more involved on our news page. Since Bionicle has been discontinued theres less official news, but we can simply make our own news and look out for what Bionicle news trickles our way in between reporting Hero Factory and other relevent building systems.

If you guys can bring in the news and continue to volunteer MOCs and stories for the front page, (and for that matter make me a montly to-do list of about 10'ish MOC/stories) then I can get them to the front page from there.
Please keep text and images well managed so they do not become an eyesore, and please only quote or talk about others in your signiture if its alright with the member you are talking about. Want your work featured on our front page? Post it in my to do list!

26 Jul 2011, 04:37 #4

I got an idea (I'm not sure I already said this or not, but...)! Can Mask of Destiny front page present itself with some RETRO news? Like for example, you can post news that happened on that day, 10 (or so) years ago! That way Bionicle newbies/oldies could relive it's good ol past, like they were seeing this news 10 years ago! :D

For example:
July 29, 2011
Then post a Bionicle or LEGO highlighted news topic that happened in July 29, 2002 and/or winners from previous Mask of Destiny MOC contests and honor their name!

This suggestion could possibly work, because it would get members to think about it, and then feel their erge to discuss about it, even if it is 10 years old. :D We can still talk about current news of course.

How bout we first start with LEGO Technic in 2000 with Robo-riders and Disk Thrower bots?

26 Jul 2011, 05:32 #5

Thats actually a pretty good idea, I wonder if I could implement it well? Id probably copy/past the old article and put in bold "retro news" on the remake article.

At the very least id like to give it a one month trial if I can decently replicate the old articles...I might have to dig up the old article endcap of the floating pod that used to sit at the end of an article. That would probably be the most interesting way to do it, either that or I just post a link to the past article.
Please keep text and images well managed so they do not become an eyesore, and please only quote or talk about others in your signiture if its alright with the member you are talking about. Want your work featured on our front page? Post it in my to do list!

26 Jul 2011, 23:18 #6

Matoro @ Jul 25 2011, 08:21 PM wrote: I don't think it is such a good idea. We might get meanies coming to MoD. I mean, that is the whole reason why I left another "LEGO" "Bionicle" "fan" forum site just recently. *cough cough*tTH3 *cough cough*
Yay I'm not the only one who thought some of the members were mean. :P

The retro stories idea sounds pretty cool!
Who's a silly pony?

29 Jul 2011, 13:00 #7

Maybe we could have contests (BBC, artwork, stories...). Granted, they would be quite small, but the fact that there are contests may fix that problem over time. :)

01 Aug 2011, 04:01 #8

We could add a subforum for blogs, that may make people want to join.
Who's a silly pony?

02 Aug 2011, 14:08 #9

For the contests, I do hold one every now and then but the prize money comes out of my pocket. The money that comes in through the advertisements doesnt even pass through my hands. Having a contest is usually a matter of me deciding Im ready to put up some more cash.

As for the blog section of the forums, I did come up with that idea back when Mark was in charge, Mark himself didnt think it was a good idea and proposed there were plenty of free blog services off site that a member could link to his signature from. He also didnt like the idea of an off topic forum, and while we did add those on the previous forums, they turned out to be a big problem. Im not comfotable adding anything else beyond our current off topic forum to discuss non bionicle stuff, but so long as the content is decent for all ages I dont have any objections to linking to a blog in your signature.

03 Aug 2011, 13:59 #10

Adrninistrator @ Aug 2 2011, 08:08 AM wrote: For the contests, I do hold one every now and then but the prize money comes out of my pocket. The money that comes in through the advertisements doesnt even pass through my hands. Having a contest is usually a matter of me deciding Im ready to put up some more cash.

As for the blog section of the forums, I did come up with that idea back when Mark was in charge, Mark himself didnt think it was a good idea and proposed there were plenty of free blog services off site that a member could link to his signature from. He also didnt like the idea of an off topic forum, and while we did add those on the previous forums, they turned out to be a big problem. Im not comfotable adding anything else beyond our current off topic forum to discuss non bionicle stuff, but so long as the content is decent for all ages I dont have any objections to linking to a blog in your signature.
You could have members donate stuff for contests.
And sad face about the blogs. :P
Who's a silly pony?

03 Aug 2011, 23:38 #11

Matoro @ Jul 26 2011, 04:37 AM wrote: I got an idea (I'm not sure I already said this or not, but...)! Can Mask of Destiny front page present itself with some RETRO news? Like for example, you can post news that happened on that day, 10 (or so) years ago! That way Bionicle newbies/oldies could relive it's good ol past, like they were seeing this news 10 years ago! :D

For example:
July 29, 2011
Then post a Bionicle or LEGO highlighted news topic that happened in July 29, 2002 and/or winners from previous Mask of Destiny MOC contests and honor their name!

This suggestion could possibly work, because it would get members to think about it, and then feel their erge to discuss about it, even if it is 10 years old. :D We can still talk about current news of course.

How bout we first start with LEGO Technic in 2000 with Robo-riders and Disk Thrower bots?
[color=0099cc]Sorry, but what meanies? We were all perfectly nice to you, then Iro sent out a funny joke PM and you called us all gay and left.

Anyway, I think this place needs a few more people at least. It's pretty much dead at the moment. Honestly it's just because there's nothing to really talk about that's bionicle related. I still think you should open up some other types of discussion, and moderate it closely. Worked wonders for tth.

~X[/color]

04 Aug 2011, 05:33 #12

Xinlo @ Aug 3 2011, 05:38 PM wrote:
Matoro @ Jul 26 2011, 04:37 AM wrote: I got an idea (I'm not sure I already said this or not, but...)! Can Mask of Destiny front page present itself with some RETRO news? Like for example, you can post news that happened on that day, 10 (or so) years ago! That way Bionicle newbies/oldies could relive it's good ol past, like they were seeing this news 10 years ago! :D

For example:
July 29, 2011

[color=0099cc]Sorry, but what meanies? We were all perfectly nice to you, then Iro sent out a funny joke PM and you called us all gay and left.

Anyway, I think this place needs a few more people at least. It's pretty much dead at the moment. Honestly it's just because there's nothing to really talk about that's bionicle related. I still think you should open up some other types of discussion, and moderate it closely. Worked wonders for tth.

~X[/color]
Anon was a mean person. :P
And TTH3 isn't doing much better than MoD.
Who's a silly pony?

04 Aug 2011, 13:09 #13

I'm not sure that style of site management would work here.

(For the benefit of you guys who've not been on tTH3, it's kinda' like the last iteration of MoD's style of staffing, except the Admins and members get into the same jokes. I don't think we've ever gotten as bad as the last iteration of MoD, though. It works because we're all childish enough to appreciate the jokes and get into them as far as possible, but responsible to know when things have gone too far. I think two (unique) members have been banned, so it's not like it's anarchy, only laid-back.)

And Anon's a nice guy, if a little wierd. I get along fine with him.

I've got to say, though, tTH3 is far more active than MoD, though admittedly that's more the blogs and shoutbox than anything else.

But we do get into (pretty intellectual and mature) debates about politics, morals, life choices etc. It seems more open, rather than less strict.
It's not illegal, it's just cheating.

I'm into exam time right now... I'll be checking up frequently, but I don't expect to be posting in the next two weeks or so unless something really catches my eye.

04 Aug 2011, 19:38 #14

So MoD needs a shoutbox! :P

And am I one of the unique ones? xD
Who's a silly pony?

04 Aug 2011, 19:53 #15

The verdict's still out on whether you're a Venom dupe or not.

I'm into exam time right now... I'll be checking up frequently, but I don't expect to be posting in the next two weeks or so unless something really catches my eye.

04 Aug 2011, 21:37 #16

Takal @ Aug 4 2011, 01:09 PM wrote: I'm not sure that style of site management would work here.

(For the benefit of you guys who've not been on tTH3, it's kinda' like the last iteration of MoD's style of staffing, except the Admins and members get into the same jokes. I don't think we've ever gotten as bad as the last iteration of MoD, though. It works because we're all childish enough to appreciate the jokes and get into them as far as possible, but responsible to know when things have gone too far. I think two (unique) members have been banned, so it's not like it's anarchy, only laid-back.)

And Anon's a nice guy, if a little wierd. I get along fine with him.

I've got to say, though, tTH3 is far more active than MoD, though admittedly that's more the blogs and shoutbox than anything else.

But we do get into (pretty intellectual and mature) debates about politics, morals, life choices etc. It seems more open, rather than less strict.
But Anon's a meanie. <_< I think he is mad at me, probably because I made fun of his very odd picture (because its unconformable to look at.) a while back. Ever since that, he has been bashing on my opinions and posts. Plus he doesn't even like LEGO! What?!

Anyways, that is the thing. tTH3 isn't really tTH3. It is just filled with random blogs and opinions not relating to LEGO or creativity.
The other thing about blogs is that people might post their life things and it'll go too far, it might become too depressing that it'll get annoying.

I honestly don't think that Blogs is such a good idea. If you wanna blog, WRITE it in a Journal and show it to buddies (or use google blogs)! That is what I do! The old fashioned way! I thought this MoD forum is supposed to talk about anything that is (appropriate) LEGO (KRE-O, KNeX, etc.), building, or creativity related! :o

04 Aug 2011, 22:31 #17

Matoro @ Aug 4 2011, 01:37 PM wrote:But Anon's a meanie.&nbsp; <_<&nbsp; I think he is mad at me, probably because I made fun of his very odd picture (because its unconformable to look at.) a while back. Ever since that, he has been bashing on my opinions and posts. Plus he doesn't even like LEGO! What?!

Anyways, that is the thing. tTH3 isn't really tTH3. It is just filled with random blogs and opinions not relating to LEGO or creativity.
The other thing about blogs is that people might post their life things and it'll go too far, it might become too depressing that it'll get annoying.

I honestly don't think that Blogs is such a good idea. If you wanna blog, WRITE it in a Journal and show it to buddies (or use google blogs)! That is what I do! The old fashioned way! I thought this MoD forum is supposed to talk about anything that is (appropriate) LEGO (KRE-O, KNeX, etc.), building, or creativity related!&nbsp; :o
I don't see how Anon's mean, really. He's been pretty cool when I've talked to him.

Also, I don't see the problem with the majority of TTH not being so Lego-oriented (which, looking at how it's set up, it never really has been). Bionicle, which was the main focus, is gone and only a couple people like Hero Factory. No one else really cares about the rest of Lego. As for your comments on creativity, I don't get it. People still write stuff and post things in the creativity forum. I suppose this is where the word's connotations are subjective, but still.

It's not so much a Bionicle forum as it is a place to chat and hang out with people not within walking distance of where they live. I don't think the issue is that TTH is that, so much as you keep imagining it to be this Lego-based site, and it just isn't that. Honestly, I think you should try to get it out of your head that it's a Lego site. If you want to discuss Lego stuff and related, you've got BZPower, Eurobricks, and Mask of Destiny. Otherwise, as the Officially-Sanctioned Nonstaff Staff / Wizaaard-King of the Forums, I can say that our site is to chat about not-plastic toys for the most part (not saying you're not allowed to, but that's not our focus).

05 Aug 2011, 00:28 #18

Takal @ Aug 4 2011, 01:53 PM wrote: The verdict's still out on whether you're a Venom dupe or not.
Couldn't ya'll check my IP and see I'm not Venom?

Also, Anon is mean towards almost all the people from the BZP chat.
Who's a silly pony?

05 Aug 2011, 21:30 #19

Sorry, but what is TTH3?

05 Aug 2011, 21:57 #20

SuperNuva @ Aug 5 2011, 09:30 PM wrote: Sorry, but what is TTH3?
It's another "BIONICLE" forum. They really don't talk about BIONICLE anymore there.
Must the show go on?

06 Aug 2011, 02:37 #21

I think we are starting to stray too far from the topic. As far as the TTH3 relationships go, nobody really wants to have people they dont get along with, (Well, Im not counting the greifers and trolls), One person makes the other angry, not neccesarily on purpose, and with each of our perceptions both people feel like they were wronged by the other first and get into a blame game looking for reasons to call the other wrong, rather than trying to point out the futility of fighting over these issues and making some form of peace.

The first one to say "Ok Im done fighting over this, I never ment any harm to begin with" is not neccesarily the person who was "right", but at least they were smart enough to stop fighting. If the other cant stop looking for reasons to stay agrressive towards you rather than try for the peace you offer them, and if your are honestly trying to be ambivelant toward him, then from that point on it's his own fault if they have a problem.

07 Aug 2011, 02:16 #22

Adrninistrator @ Aug 5 2011, 08:37 PM wrote: I think we are starting to stray too far from the topic. As far as the TTH3 relationships go, nobody really wants to have people they dont get along with, (Well, Im not counting the greifers and trolls), One person makes the other angry, not neccesarily on purpose, and with each of our perceptions both people feel like they were wronged by the other first and get into a blame game looking for reasons to call the other wrong, rather than trying to point out the futility of fighting over these issues and making some form of peace.

The first one to say "Ok Im done fighting over this, I never ment any harm to begin with" is not neccesarily the person who was "right", but at least they were smart enough to stop fighting. If the other cant stop looking for reasons to stay agrressive towards you rather than try for the peace you offer them, and if your are honestly trying to be ambivelant toward him, then from that point on it's his own fault if they have a problem.
What's a griefer?

So can MoD get a shoutbox?
Who's a silly pony?

07 Aug 2011, 03:49 #23

Takal @ Aug 4 2011, 07:53 PM wrote: The verdict's still out on whether you're a Venom dupe or not.
You're referring to the Australian one, right?
Hipor: Empire of Pixels
Where comic makers, spriters, and pretty much anyone collide.
Run by me and Kahinuva of the ICC.

07 Aug 2011, 04:21 #24

I personnaly favor the forums over a shout box, but it could increase site activity.
Must the show go on?

07 Aug 2011, 19:58 #25

Venom @ Aug 6 2011, 09:49 PM wrote:
Takal @ Aug 4 2011, 07:53 PM wrote: The verdict's still out on whether you're a Venom dupe or not.
You're referring to the Australian one, right?
I FOUND VENOM'S DUPE!

We might not get a shoutbox since MoD only has like 2 active mods. :/
Who's a silly pony?

07 Aug 2011, 22:06 #26

I count three: Immy, EW and Kokua.

And yes, the Australian one.

07 Aug 2011, 22:48 #27

Shadrahk @ Jul 26 2011, 04:18 PM wrote:
Matoro @ Jul 25 2011, 08:21 PM wrote: I don't think it is such a good idea. We might get meanies coming to MoD. I mean, that is the whole reason why I left another "LEGO" "Bionicle" "fan" forum site just recently. *cough cough*tTH3 *cough cough*
Yay I'm not the only one who thought some of the members were mean. :P

The retro stories idea sounds pretty cool!
XD Yeah, they should go ahead and ban Anon(with a few others I should mention...)
Iro the Dude @ Aug 4 2011, 03:31 PM wrote:
Matoro @ Aug 4 2011, 01:37 PM wrote:But Anon's a meanie.&nbsp; <_<&nbsp; I think he is mad at me, probably because I made fun of his very odd picture (because its unconformable to look at.) a while back. Ever since that, he has been bashing on my opinions and posts. Plus he doesn't even like LEGO! What?!

I honestly don't think that Blogs is such a good idea. If you wanna blog, WRITE it in a Journal and show it to buddies (or use google blogs)! That is what I do! The old fashioned way! I thought this MoD forum is supposed to talk about anything that is (appropriate) LEGO (KRE-O, KNeX, etc.), building, or creativity related!&nbsp; :o
I don't see how Anon's mean, really. He's been pretty cool when I've talked to him.

Also, I don't see the problem with the majority of TTH not being so Lego-oriented (which, looking at how it's set up, it never really has been). Bionicle, which was the main focus, is gone and only a couple people like Hero Factory. No one else really cares about the rest of Lego. As for your comments on creativity, I don't get it. People still write stuff and post things in the creativity forum. I suppose this is where the word's connotations are subjective, but still.

It's not so much a Bionicle forum as it is a place to chat and hang out with people not within walking distance of where they live. I don't think the issue is that TTH is that, so much as you keep imagining it to be this Lego-based site, and it just isn't that. Honestly, I think you should try to get it out of your head that it's a Lego site. If you want to discuss Lego stuff and related, you've got BZPower, Eurobricks, and Mask of Destiny. Otherwise, as the Officially-Sanctioned Nonstaff Staff / Wizaaard-King of the Forums, I can say that our site is to chat about not-plastic toys for the most part (not saying you're not allowed to, but that's not our focus).
I'm thinking you've hung around him too much, you've lost your marbles...

EDIT: Back on topic now, I'm thinking just get BZP to allow us to advertise our site there, after all, our site here isn't exactly widely known is it?
Honestly, I couldn't care less about what you or anyone else things, I'm just going to kill you becaue you're starting to annoy me.- Xerus, Toa of Shadows

07 Aug 2011, 23:03 #28

Problem with that is that BZPower gets all uptight about posting links to other forums (also, its forums are down). Try Eurobricks or other sites.

08 Aug 2011, 00:43 #29

It was pretty well known actually, Bionicle.com used to have a link to us and BZPower. Bzpower bans links to our site from their forums, and in fact our initials are filtered to a warning talking about other forums.

08 Aug 2011, 01:54 #30

Adrninistrator @ Aug 8 2011, 12:43 AM wrote: It was pretty well known actually, Bionicle.com used to have a link to us and BZPower. Bzpower bans links to our site from their forums, and in fact our initials are filtered to a warning talking about other forums.
I still don't understand that. Why are the so strict about this?
Must the show go on?