BIONICLE: Legend Of Mata Nui

Discuss BIONICLE multimedia, from movies and games to music and comics.

BIONICLE: Legend Of Mata Nui

Jan 22 2016, 03:14 AM #1

Bionicle: The Legend of Mata Nui was set to accompany the first Bionicle wave of toys in 2001. This game was advertised in many promotional materials as well as official instruction booklets. The only found footage of the game was posted by a user of this very website MarkofMOD[/B]

Please if anyone can let me know if they have the game or can actually help with sourcing information. Then pm me, or post here. Thank you

Jan 22 2016, 11:53 PM #2

Unfortunately the game was never finished. A new chipset was reaching the PC market part way through the game's development, one which would not have been compatible with the game's programming. Too high a percentage of customers would not have been able to play the game by the time it reached the market as a result, so production was canceled.

To the best of my knowledge, only a few lucky individuals of the press were given a CD with preliminary levels. Someone going by Deep Brick had gotten his hands of a copy (which I'm told may not have been an authorized copy) and shared videos and screenshots of the gameplay with Mark.

Anyone with a legitimate copy of the preliminary levels has not been permitted to distribute or sell it, as the discs and data are still considered property of The LEGO Company. I've personally been asked to help find Deep Brick or another disc holder more than a dozen times, but I have no means of finding or contacting the individual(s). Mark himself is unable to help, and he knows more about it than I do. Even if someone could be located, the legal recourse someone could face for buying/selling/transmitting/receiving the data would not be worth it.
Please keep text and images well managed so they do not become an eyesore, and please only quote or talk about others in your signiture if its alright with the member you are talking about. Want your work featured on our front page? Post it in my to do list!

Jan 25 2016, 12:31 AM #3

Legal recourse, for a farking age old prototype? I don't think so, maybe someone needs to realise how businesses work.

Mark literally holds the monopoly on this, Deep Brick is the only person who can upload this game. There will be no legal recourse, Lego clearly don't care.

Jan 25 2016, 03:41 AM #4

Please do not mistake me for sounding rude, I'm just repeating what I've been told by past staff and The LEGO Company. Lets not get into a discussion of who needs to realise what. I do not have a copy of the game, and Mark does not have a copy of the game. If that's what your looking for then we are a dead end, and I'm trying to save you the trouble. MOD's archives just have a few screenshots and a link to the videos on youtube.

If you think the LEGO Company has changed their opinions on distributing the game's code, you could just ask them for it:

https://wwwsecure.us.lego.com/en-us/service
Please keep text and images well managed so they do not become an eyesore, and please only quote or talk about others in your signiture if its alright with the member you are talking about. Want your work featured on our front page? Post it in my to do list!

Jan 25 2016, 07:40 PM #5

Common sense on this whole matter would let you know that a) as a business owner myself, I would never distribute something like that willy nilly and B ) they don't have it and don't care about it, so asking them for it is pointless, there should still be someone with the disk, just like someone on BZP posted a Style Guide recently.

your point b kept turning into a smiley, kinda fixed it for you, -Imatron

Jan 26 2016, 02:18 AM #6

I had to look that style guide up, thats an interesting collectible, and I'd never heard of it until now. I wonder what other unknown collectibles are wandering around?

I've sent an email to the highest available contact I know in The LEGO Company asking if there has been any change on their policy of that particular disc, and asked if they would permit someone who does have it to make available to the public.

At this time though, the game (or whats left of it) is copyrighted material, therefore I cannot permit you to use our site to ask for an unlicensed copy of it. If your fine with asking for someone who has it to get you new information about it and answer questions, that would be fine. If anything new regarding the game comes my way though, Ill try to give you an update.

Personally, I'd love it if TLG would put the games's code into the public domain and let everyone access it as part of their education and programming support. Then at least the money they put into developing it would not have been a waste. Then as a side benefit collectors could finally try it out, and maybe give the new BIONICLE line some publicity in the process.

Apr 17 2016, 07:11 PM #7

Imatron @ Jan 25 2016, 09:18 PM wrote: I had to look that style guide up, thats an interesting collectible, and I'd never heard of it until now. I wonder what other unknown collectibles are wandering around?

I've sent an email to the highest available contact I know in The LEGO Company asking if there has been any change on their policy of that particular disc, and asked if they would permit someone who does have it to make available to the public.

At this time though, the game (or whats left of it) is copyrighted material, therefore I cannot permit you to use our site to ask for an unlicensed copy of it. If your fine with asking for someone who has it to get you new information about it and answer questions, that would be fine. If anything new regarding the game comes my way though, Ill try to give you an update.

Personally, I'd love it if TLG would put the games's code into the public domain and let everyone access it as part of their education and programming support. Then at least the money they put into developing it would not have been a waste. Then as a side benefit collectors could finally try it out, and maybe give the new BIONICLE line some publicity in the process.
and what did they say...?

Apr 18 2016, 05:20 AM #8

I have not heard anything back from the guys at LEGO on this.

Dec 8 2017, 12:24 AM #9

Bumping for nearly the end of 2017,

WHERE IS THIS GAME

Dec 9 2017, 08:06 PM #10

combocooldown @ Dec 7 2017, 07:24 PM wrote: Bumping for nearly the end of 2017,

WHERE IS THIS GAME
out of our hands, for now. deepbrick is the only person confirmed to still have a copy, and he's unwilling to give it up. which I always thought was funny, considering that the metru-nui game was put online with no issues.

Feb 12 2018, 01:17 AM #11

Looks like you can thank the good folks over at BioMediaProject. They have acquired an alpha build of the game, and changes to the archiving laws allow them to host it legally:

http://biomediaproject.com/bmp/the-legend-of-mata-nui/

Feb 18 2018, 09:02 PM #12

define changes to the archiving laws?

Feb 19 2018, 02:35 AM #13

I don't know the specifics, but either a law was created or modified that permits a game no longer for sale to be made available on an archive website. However it works out, it's a win for everyone curious about the game.