Evil Tahu II

Post your BIONICLE MOCs here.

Evil Tahu II

14 Dec 2016, 02:20 #1

Evil Tahu II (G2 Revamp)

NOTE: THIS MoC HAS BEEN UPDATED. If you're interested in seeing the current version, there's an update below. Thanks as always for your thoughts!

Bio: Patron MoC and Mascot of Mask of Destiny.com, originally created by Purple Dave. This is a revamp using CCBS of the original, who by the way, can be found here.
Powers: He has the powers of corruption, fire, and most recently, shameless advertising for his site :P

Standing in Classic Stance
Close up of torso and head
Upper angled view
Zoomed out view of the former
Stance II full view
Side view of Stance II
View of sword
View of opposite hand
Close-up view of lower back and legs
Close-up view of upper back
Zoom-out view of the back
Side View
Epic … hand … thingy

Here are my thoughts:

Things I did to directly relate the two models:

-The old-style hand-piece on the middle of the chest. Yup, though this wasn't nearly as easy to attach as on the original model. This is easiest to see in this pic.
-The hands. The left and right hands have the same purpose. On the original model, the hand without the sword had two fingers, and it still does. While it does have one thumb … eh, I'm not going to talk about that. And the opposite hand has a sword, as mentioned.
-The shoulder armour. In the original model, these were made from Onua's claws. Now, they're made from the 2015 equivalent, his shovel claws.
-The angle of the legs. If you look closely in the last photo, then you can see that the legs are angled in the same way as the original pieces, even down to the fact that they bend at the ankle, like the original Mata leg piece. This was something weird that I worked really hard to put into the final piece, and it worked quite well.

Unforeseen bad parts:

-The solid red on the shoulder. It was a sacrifice: colour for coverage. The length of the piece on the lower shoulder was the only thing which would adequately fill the space. Unfortunately, as I bought little Hero Factory, the only colour I had it in was straight red. Mask aside, it throws off the darker colour scheme.
-The back. It just doesn't look too well done back there. What can I say, it was made for a frontal view.
-The sword. It looks a wee bit awkward to me for some reason. I didn't put much though into it, unlike the figure itself, so it came out a little weird. Thank Lava Beast for those black Elemental Swords, though.

Unforeseen good parts:

-The correlation between old and new models. Didn't expect to be able to fit so many similarities in, but I did, so yay.
-The coverage on the legs, and the model in general. In particular, I'm glad that the legs got such great coverage without getting bulky, thanks to some weird random techniques of a MoC'ing n00b like myself. And the model got covered much better than I thought.
-The coverage on the arms. So, just in case I didn't specify on the above comment, I also like the arms' coverage, as it was a complete accident to make them look like they could have. It actually fits with the vibe of the model well, the spikey look, so I'm happy about that.

What I wish I could have done better:

-Gotten an infected-style mask. While there wasn't a G2 version made of the infected mask, there was something pretty close to the G2 equivalent: trans/colour masks (as seen in the 'Skull Wave' of Summer 2015).

And that's basically it.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, as always.

---

UPDATE 1 (according to Imatron's below suggestions):

Version 2

Extended Claws

Up Close Frontal View
Zoomed-Out Back View
Zoomed-Out Diagonal View
Above View
Upper Sideways View

'Clamped' Claws

Up Close Frontal View
Zoomed-Out Back View
Up Close Sideways View
Upper View
Up Close Diagonal View

I prefer the extended claws at this point, as they fit the colour scheme, reflect the original model, and subjectively, from my POV, they just look good.

Eventually, I'm going to properly re-format the pictures, but as of yet, Christmas hype is causing me to have little time.
I'll twist hakann's head so far he can stare himself in the eye
-Vezok

'Yo, yo Piraka' is still alive!!!

14 Dec 2016, 14:56 #2

That is some amazing work, I especially like the construction technique of the lower arms, and the custom leg support. The sword is especially well designed, it looks like something an evil overlord with some style would use.

You may not have had claws to work with but the shadow trap and shovels do work very well for that part. If you had more of the lord of skull spider feet, I wonder if you could have made giant onua claws from those to cover each shoulder?
Please keep text and images well managed so they do not become an eyesore, and please only quote or talk about others in your signiture if its alright with the member you are talking about. Want your work featured on our front page? Post it in my to do list!

25 Dec 2016, 01:48 #3

Here is a proper update. Editing the Topic with a second set of pictures. I was able to do the claws in two ways, one where they fit over his arms like shoulder armour (the second type), and the other where, like the original, the claws stick out. Initially, I didn't like the claws sticking out, but it's grown on me a lot, and at this point it's my favorite.

That said, would you mind, Immy, posting that version (the one with extended claws) on the front page? It would be great if you could.
-Vezok

27 Dec 2016, 04:34 #4

I was actually hoping to post him on Christmas day but my time got cut short, I'm working on getting him posted now. : )

At least the delay can be looked at as beneficial, since I can post the updated version.

Nice work on the clawed shoulders. I wonder if they would benefit from being on those clicky joints that hold the shadow traps together so the sides didn't have to be rebuilt to be repositioned? There are so many ways I can think of to build those shoulders though, so it's hard to settle on one idea, but I like what you've come up with.

I've been thinking about making my own revamp, or at least trying to make a replica of Evil Tahu, I wonder if I can make time to build one and compare some ideas with you.

EDIT:

Im just about done with the article now, and I wasn't sure if I should copy/paste the full description from the forum since it was intended to accompany the original version of the MOC. By the time you read this Ill probably have posted the article, but I can update it later if you'd like to add a specific commentary to go with the final version. For now I've just kind of posted my own thoughts.
Please keep text and images well managed so they do not become an eyesore, and please only quote or talk about others in your signiture if its alright with the member you are talking about. Want your work featured on our front page? Post it in my to do list!

27 Dec 2016, 20:32 #5

I don't care one way or the other, but if you want to, you can post everything from 'here are my thoughts:' to the triple hyphen (---).

As for comparing ideas, that would be ueber cool. Just let me know when you want to talk.
-Vezok