Furnok, Bohrok Commander

Post your BIONICLE MOCs here.

Furnok, Bohrok Commander

23 Nov 2014, 23:37 #1

News link

Furnok is a prototype commander class bohrok, developed for the purpose of commanding local bohrok units in their tasks and acting as an offensive/defensive unit rather than a worker. Unfortunatley, one of many flaws was the range and ability to coordinate with other commander class units. Ultimatley, he and a number of other prototypes were deactivated and locked away to prevent conflicting with the units that would become the Bahrag queens, who were capable of commanding every bohrok across the island simultaneosly.

But when you wake one, you wake them all, and Furnok was no different. Maddened by the conflicting programming and the control signal of the bohrok over the course of their use, he manged to break free, and stalked any land where he could detect bohrok in use. Before he came to his senses and left, he had managed to singlehandedly depose the elemental masters of a land, and forced their matoran into adopting war-games to become strong enough to protect themselves in their absense.

Design wise, this MOC might not be the prettiest, but he boasts a number of interesting features, particularly the flip out sheilds on both arms, akin to the design of the smaller Bohrok, which flip open when the hands are pushed into his wrists using parts from the old nui rama sets. His other notable features would include the unique features of his weight support system, most of which I developed myself (though great minds think alike, so maybe I wasnt the first to come up with the same ideas?).

I hope you guys like him, Im not sure Ill improve upon him any further (though I DID have a different cannon design in mind.) but I am open to suggestions.

Side note: I chose his name after poor Will Furno (Furno + Bohrok = Furnok) who's bike had to be scrapped to finish this despite already using up a spare box XP
Please keep text and images well managed so they do not become an eyesore, and please only quote or talk about others in your signiture if its alright with the member you are talking about. Want your work featured on our front page? Post it in my to do list!

24 Nov 2014, 04:17 #2

That's amazing! I wouldn't want to mess with him. It looks like the Bohrok has their own Exo to take on the toa.
The color scheme is interesting, though. Very Halloween like

25 Nov 2014, 03:14 #3

The colorscheme has an interesting story to it, I believe Takal first suggested I make a bohrok with arms that unfold to form a shield. From there I experimented with what parts to do that, and the extra furno bike I had provided the orange shields that seemed most suited to the task. Additionally it had the orange headpiece which pretty much sealed it for me.

Furnok was literally built around his right arm. I actually had planned to do a midak cannon arm, and I did, but between how it flipped open (a lot like Vash the stampede's arm) and how it attached to the body, it was too bulky. I eventually got fed up and scrapped my constructed furno bike to finish the other arm as a copy of the first.
Please keep text and images well managed so they do not become an eyesore, and please only quote or talk about others in your signiture if its alright with the member you are talking about. Want your work featured on our front page? Post it in my to do list!

26 Nov 2014, 03:35 #4

I was thinking as I read that I was sure I'd challenged you to make a Bohrok on my scale with retractable shields. Great going on the arms, but the torso seems flat and gappy (though I suppose the latter is intentional for mobility's sake) around the waist. Like the colour scheme - great industrial machinery vibe - but I'd have switched the head for a black casing given how orange the rest of the upper torso/shoulders are. Probably just personal taste though.

Feet are miles better than mine ever were. I don't suppose he rolls up into a ball?
It's not illegal, it's just cheating.

I'm into exam time right now... I'll be checking up frequently, but I don't expect to be posting in the next two weeks or so unless something really catches my eye.

27 Nov 2014, 03:20 #5

He sadly does not roll into a ball but he can crouch down to roughly half his height, and thank you for the great idea, it took well over a year to get around to finishing, but it tuned out much better than I expected.

Your correct on the torso, though I cant help but wish I had the parts and skill to cover up those sections a bit more. Im relying on the extra supports and plates over that to give his profile the illusion of being bigger.

On the other hand, kids seem to love my stuff at conventions because they could understand how it worked by looking at it, so it has its advantages.

25 Jul 2015, 10:25 #6

is the sky blaster balls going to shoot up the nostrils :lol:

26 Jul 2015, 02:21 #7

Not unless youve got a reaally big nose. The Midak Skyblaster's ammo is just a tad wider than a two by two stud brick when you look at it from above.

The ammo the elemental protectors use with their tiny six shooters is small enough.