Hero Factory, Your thoughts?

This is the place to talk about BIONICLE sets.

Hero Factory, Your thoughts?

Feb 10 2010, 02:36 AM #1

I like some of what Im seeing from hero factory, but they aren't exactly bringing in a revolutionary new set of parts and features like I hoped. Maybe it's too early to tell, but they seem like upgraded agori, and it looks like they are barrowing the antlantis key theme, and I can't help but think they are a little like ODST with the whole hero pod thing too.

What do you think of them?

Link to BZP's pictures: http://bzpower.com/story.php?ID=4538
Ive been with bionicle for a while, while I wasnt there from the start Ive ebayed for some of the originals from when the story was apparently the best.

Feb 10 2010, 03:23 AM #2

Well, I think it sucks. I don't understand why LEGO can't just go back to the old original themes. It doesn't matter if the consumer knows the old fashion themes or not. I really miss those LEGO set gears back from 1999-2001.

Feb 10 2010, 12:35 PM #3

I hate them...Bionice got cancelled for...for THIS?!? No, just no...that is unacceptable lego, that is unacceptable.
#ThreatToSurvival

Feb 11 2010, 03:05 AM #4

It's their product, and unfortunatley its within their rights to end it. Im gratefull they supported it as long as they did, but the main characters were becoming uninteresting as official sets. Their batch of vehicles were pretty good though, and Ill miss those. As a collector Im happy to not have any more junky repetitive guys and can buy hero factory just for MoCing parts, and then continue building my own characters and my own bionicle story in it's place.
Please keep text and images well managed so they do not become an eyesore, and please only quote or talk about others in your signiture if its alright with the member you are talking about. Want your work featured on our front page? Post it in my to do list!

Feb 11 2010, 12:28 PM #5

Hmm...you do have a very good point. But the only reason the sets became uninteresting is the set designers. They usually had no clue who the set was that they were designing, & they were lazy. They never bothered to try to spend more money into making the sets...even BEFORE the world economy collapsed. So I think that LEGO sorta did this to themselves.
#ThreatToSurvival

Feb 11 2010, 07:09 PM #6

Id say they were too many things conflicting with eachother and set designers just got caught in the middle of it, after all a MOCer is limited only to his imagination and budget, and they make truly outsstanding creations. The protoype sets we see in special features of the movies are great and they even go so far as to cut and glue some custom peices for the prototypes to get an idea for new molds to make, but then why are the sets that hit shelves so sub par by comparison? It has to be the constraints of the marketing, story, and part production budgets coming together that limits them.
Please keep text and images well managed so they do not become an eyesore, and please only quote or talk about others in your signiture if its alright with the member you are talking about. Want your work featured on our front page? Post it in my to do list!

Feb 13 2010, 02:39 AM #7

I don't think they are that bad... they look rather nice actually. They have good MoC parts at least B)

Feb 14 2010, 12:55 AM #8

Kirby @ Feb 11 2010, 12:28 PM wrote: They usually had no clue who the set was that they were designing, & they were lazy.
No, I think that they had a clue the set they were designing. They were focusing on today's generation of kids who likes guns, video games, and uehh! Digital media. RRRGGHHH!!!!
They have to make the sets look 'cool' and make it 'easy' to build for those rrrggh...kids.
Plus now a days there are more collectors than builders (for the todays generation of kids). They rather buy something that looks cool. Not for the pieces.
But LEGO is forgetting one group. The builders! The builders who likes to build challenging sets and ones with gears in them! Yeah, I know there are tough sets out there to build. But the problem is that they are the expensive ones. I gotta admit, the expensive sets are pretty good. But who can afford that?

Feb 14 2010, 02:30 AM #9

If they made the Stars with new knees that bent I would have loved them a great deal more, in fact I think I would have greatly enjoyed a whole new system where the sockets are about half their size and the parts are much smaller, they would be more portable and storable, and even a more in depth battle game would be easier with them, and maybe even appeal more to the Minifigure loving community.

Feb 14 2010, 03:16 AM #10

@Matoro: Well, today's world IS lazy...and in this world economy, you're right, who CAN afford those expensive sets? But about the cool thing...sets can be cool AND complicated...look at the toa Mata! LEGO doesn't realize that...and the Toa Mistika & Toa Phantoka are PRIME examples of set designers being lazy & having not the slightest clue who they're designing. Those sets didn't a much justice to their past forms as they should've...not much justice at all. There was some, but not enough. See what I mean?

@Imatron: I also wished the Stars' knees had been bendable...but I also just plain love the fact the we got that remake of Tahu Mata that the world had been wanting for so long. And I like your idea...if BIONICLE does come back in the future, maybe they'd try an approach similar to yours.

Personally...maybe BIONICLE not being around is a good thing...for me. I'll have more money to spend on Transformers...& there's a heck of a lot of mind-blowing Transformers coming out this year, such as the stateside release of Masterpeice Dinobot Grimlock. No BIONICLE in this world economy...with all these Transformers coming out...I is guess a little ok in my book...FOR NOW.
#ThreatToSurvival

Feb 14 2010, 08:25 PM #11

Adrninistrator @ Feb 14 2010, 02:30 AM wrote: If they made the Stars with new knees that bent I would have loved them a great deal more, in fact I think I would have greatly enjoyed a whole new system where the sockets are about half their size and the parts are much smaller, they would be more portable and storable, and even a more in depth battle game would be easier with them, and maybe even appeal more to the Minifigure loving community.
Yeah, I was thinking of the same thing too. You know the Toa metru joints? It looks like this...

(Socket)
+
o
+
(Socket)

Well. It could be like this...

(Socket)
+
(Socket)

===========
I was hoping they could do something like that for the matoran. Its so simple. Its just cutting down the length of the Toa metru joints.

Feb 15 2010, 01:36 AM #12

such as the stateside release of Masterpeice Dinobot Grimlock
So that's what Madaraki (who has a worthy collection of Prime figures) was talking about in his msn signature...I used to be interested in transformers toys, and if I didn't get into bionicle I might have kept buying them, but all of mine save the unicron I bought (the last transformer I bought in fact) have gotten into bad condition so in a sense i'm glad I didn't get into them because they'd all be broken in
some form. I had a grimlock too, his arm broke and I haven't seen his remains in years :_:

I'm hoping I only get into HF for the parts, I don't want to wind up buying all of them in Bionicle's absense. I agree with you that with Bionicle's end a benefit is that I have a bigger budget for other interests now.

Feb 15 2010, 01:46 AM #13

Adrninistrator @ Feb 15 2010, 01:36 AM wrote:
such as the stateside release of Masterpeice Dinobot Grimlock
So that's what Madaraki (who has a worthy collection of Prime figures) was talking about in his msn signature...I used to be interested in transformers toys, and if I didn't get into bionicle I might have kept buying them, but all of mine save the unicron I bought (the last transformer I bought in fact) have gotten into bad condition so in a sense i'm glad I didn't get into them because they'd all be broken in
some form. I had a grimlock too, his arm broke and I haven't seen his remains in years :_:

I'm hoping I only get into HF for the parts, I don't want to wind up buying all of them in Bionicle's absense. I agree with you that with Bionicle's end a benefit is that I have a bigger budget for other interests now.
Only for the parts? Even if I had the budget, I still wouldn't buy them. I don't like MOCing that much...oh, & I saw a picture of the American edition of Masterpeice Grimlock. It's definately a figure to buy. It has his crown & sword! It's a ToysR'Us exclusive coming this summer...maybe you should buy it since you haven't seen your Grimlock in so long. Or if you want a Grimlock at a lower price point, get the Animated Voayger Class. I don't have it, but you make like it...for anything else on Transformers, PM me, because I don't wanna turn this into a Transformers thread. XD
#ThreatToSurvival

Feb 15 2010, 10:37 PM #14

Personally, I think it's way to simple and kiddy. <_< I hope they bring BIONICLE back as I think they might. They never continued a story for a LEGO theme they no longer sell before. :)

Feb 16 2010, 12:46 AM #15

JrMasterModelBuilder @ Feb 15 2010, 10:37 PM wrote: Personally, I think it's way to simple and kiddy. <_< I hope they bring BIONICLE back as I think they might. They never continued a story for a LEGO theme they no longer sell before. :)
Exactly...and LEGO is going to keep Bionicle's storyline in case they decide to bring it back.
#ThreatToSurvival

Feb 16 2010, 03:09 AM #16

I find it a cheap ripoff from Bionicle but that is probably cus I don't want to see Bionicle go. But its from the creators of Bionicle, which is a cheap ripoff.
Blah, start inviting some people, I loved this place. :'(

Feb 16 2010, 05:59 AM #17

Torongo @ Feb 16 2010, 03:09 AM wrote: I find it a cheap ripoff from Bionicle but that is probably cus I don't want to see Bionicle go.&nbsp; But its from the creators of Bionicle, which is a cheap ripoff.
Hey, at least megablocks isn't making something like it. It's not that bad if you think about it.

Feb 16 2010, 02:32 PM #18

Bad as megabloks? Guess a load of people will be with me on this...
I DON'T CARE ABOUT ANYTHING BUT BIONICLE AND MUSIC!

Feb 16 2010, 07:40 PM #19

Kirby @ Feb 16 2010, 12:46 AM wrote:
JrMasterModelBuilder @ Feb 15 2010, 10:37 PM wrote: Personally, I think it's way to simple and kiddy. <_<&nbsp; I hope they bring BIONICLE back as I think they might. They never continued a story for a LEGO theme they no longer sell before. :)
Exactly...and LEGO is going to keep Bionicle's storyline in case they decide to bring it back.
Really, that's all that makes sense. I think they're taking a break for a little while so that can do a better restart for younger fans, but are making similar sets in the mean time so as not to loose that area of the market. I worry what might happen if they do better than BIONICLE though.

Feb 16 2010, 07:45 PM #20

I understand why they overused the inika torso so much. After all, it works with practically everything, but it peaked in 2007, with the Barraki and the Mahrii, where the characters were truly unique. After that, they overused everything they could:
The Inika torso/ piraka torso became the standard 'canister set' torso.
The Mistika makuta torso (which was actually pretty good) lost all credibility after they used it in Mutran and Icarax
They went totally nuts with the Av-Matoran torso, and it got put into practically every set, because it was a cheap but style-less one-piece torso.
The two Takanuva '03 blades (set version and MoL The Game version) got put everywhere and became a nuisance rather than good blades, as they initially were.
The Midaks were used as every vehicle's weapons, when Cordaks, Zamors and Electro-rockets would have done just as well.
And The Hau. Bionicle's greatest stereotype: used in at least 19 different colours and styles.

Whenever they find something good, the design team basically take a 2-year holiday and just submit the same thing 12 times in a different colour with a different weapon, mask and name. That was the downfall of Bionicle, the same's going to happen to Hero Factory unless they bring out a decent gimmick or random factor, which they havn't done since 2004.
It's not illegal, it's just cheating.

I'm into exam time right now... I'll be checking up frequently, but I don't expect to be posting in the next two weeks or so unless something really catches my eye.

Feb 16 2010, 11:41 PM #21

I agree greatly about the repitition, what we really could have used is new parts, and a gimmick that would make the new part design practical, like the jump from Toa olda/nuva to Metru. If the decision were up to me, I would have done one of two things,

*A, make new torsos each year, like a built in zamor launcher torso, and switch up the sockets in some way to give new mocing elements

*B, MICRONICLE, Fully articulated characters, half the size. They would almost be a whole new system though, but they would be nnteresting. I would even sell customization packs with helmats/masks and tools, etc. They would still be able to fit into normal technic vehicles of course. Using less plastic means being cheaper to sell, more portable, and maybe have in depth battle game rules.

Megabloks gets some credit, their elements are gradually gaining quality, and their neo shifters (and other brick based sets), despite some almost obvious ripp offs on certain weaponry were pretty original. If they had been made by LEGO Id have a full set of them. They had a really impressive area 51 model a few years ago. too O_o

Feb 17 2010, 04:39 PM #22

Well here is the pattern:
2001-2003: (Age of Gears) for 2 and half years, we had Toa Mata Torso. That was alright, since they were not over doing it. They were mostly focusing on the cooler bigger sets, which was awesome, since most of the pieces were technic and had cool gear abilities.
2004-2005: (Age of Gears and Flexibility and Awesomeness!) Has to be the best years of bionicle, they were creating a crud load of new bionicle pieces left and right!
2006-2007: (Age of Flexibility) I got annoyed that they reused the Toa Metru waist, since we had that sense of making new pieces. But still, it was ok. Because the sets were almost 100% flexible, but where is the gears? They didn't really overdue the Inika Torso, since it’s the traditional "2 year" torso thing.
2008-2010: (Age of Vehicles) The figures suck, because they overdue the same pieces for the last 4 years!!! But the vehicles were alright. Even though there were very little new pieces for the sets, the design was good, and for those who did not own the 2006-2007 pieces. I guess it’s useful for those who want to catch up with the 2006-2007 pieces.
===
I don’t know if they are focusing on the vehicles or what now a days. But whatever it is, I don’t really like the figures. They should go back to at least 2004-2005 style. Where they combined gears and flex together. I remember the Toa Metru and Hordika. They were awesome! The metru sets were cool, because you see the gears moving inside their chest. And the Hordika sets were cool because of the spinner and the flexability of the arms, with a gear!

Feb 20 2010, 12:13 PM #23

Oddly enough, I like them. Not because they are better than bionicle, because it is Legos chance to rope in some new flesh. All the children who bought bionicle lately didn't follow the storyline because it was too complicated. Now it's simple and effective.
I'm currently selling my entire Bionicle/Hero Factory collection, if you're interested PM me

Feb 21 2010, 03:33 AM #24

Well, BZPower has some great shots of the Hero Factory models in here. They look good so far:

http://bzpower.com/story.php?ID=4538

Feb 21 2010, 02:40 PM #25

Wow.

All I can say is these will be the only sets I have bought since 2008.

I'm really excited now!
I'm currently selling my entire Bionicle/Hero Factory collection, if you're interested PM me

Feb 24 2010, 12:31 AM #26

According to a poll on BZPower, most people think they're good, but the same or not as good as BIONICLE. :huh: It's kind-of strange that they like them even though they think they are less.

Feb 24 2010, 01:25 AM #27

JrMasterModelBuilder @ Feb 23 2010, 07:31 PM wrote: According to a poll on BZPower, most people think they're good, but the same or not as good as BIONICLE. :huh:&nbsp; It's kind-of strange that they like them even though they think they are less.
I find it appauling that half the people I know say it's the SAME as Bionicle. Have they forgotten what Bionicle was REALLY about? or are they just plain cross wired. <_<
"ENOUGH! My ship sails in the morning. I wonder what's for DINNER..."
- King Harkinian ("The King")

Feb 24 2010, 02:25 AM #28

They certainly have much in common, and if not for the different name brand slapped on most of these could pass as Glatorian at the least.

Feb 24 2010, 03:58 AM #29

Naw, they haven't know the true meaning of bionicle. The bionicle of wonders, spirits. That type of stuff. And don't forget C.A. Hapka's intro: "In time, before time..." That quote dissolved around 2006, and thats when it gets ugly.

Feb 24 2010, 04:26 AM #30

Matoro @ Feb 23 2010, 10:58 PM wrote: Naw, they haven't know the true meaning of bionicle. The bionicle of wonders, spirits. That type of stuff. And don't forget C.A. Hapka's intro: "In time, before time..." That quote dissolved around 2006, and thats when it gets ugly.
Not to be confused with the LAND before time. :lol:
"ENOUGH! My ship sails in the morning. I wonder what's for DINNER..."
- King Harkinian ("The King")