IDEA

Ask questions and provide feedback about Mask Of Destiny here.

IDEA

14 Jul 2011, 18:45 #1

This Topic got me thinking about how to get more members. I think I may have the perfect idea. Think of how many users are on BZPower, reading the news every day, anxious to have the forums back. Forums is something we have. My idea is to get BZPower to help us somehow. Just think, if BZPower posts a news report on us, and only 10% of BZPower users read it, and only 10% of them joined, we would have several times more users here. Now imagine numbers bigger than 10%. I sense opportunity here.

14 Jul 2011, 19:02 #2

On BZPower, it's against the rules to mention specific sites within the forums/blogs, notably other lego fansites. I can't find the exact post (for obvious reasons) but one admin (B6?) commented that the site is like a company: it's bad practice to advertise 'rivals.'
It's not illegal, it's just cheating.

I'm into exam time right now... I'll be checking up frequently, but I don't expect to be posting in the next two weeks or so unless something really catches my eye.

14 Jul 2011, 19:19 #3

This has caused me to rise from my slumber.

BZPower would not want thier draconian control over the majority of the community to slip because they helped a smaller site. I can actually understand thier paranioa over outside sites since they have alot of young kids in thier numbers. They could get in alot of trouble if a young member wandered on to a site they shouldn't via BZP. I personally think they are just a bit stupid. But my original point still stands, they would do nothing along these lines to help us. If we were on fire at thier feet and they had a glass of water, they would most definetly drink it.
"Child of my enemy why have you come? There can be no forgiveness. A father's sins pass to his son." - Gravemind, Halo 3

"There is no such thing as an obscene amount of firepower." Sergeant Chronus

"Fenris breeds heroes like a bar breeds drunks - loud, proud and spoiling for a fight." - Grandmaster Belial of the Dark Angels

"It takes a great amount of self control to be this dangerous." - Unknown Space Wolf

15 Jul 2011, 03:26 #4

BZPower does not allow linking to other forums, mainly because forum members can suddenly start posting content no child should see, and they could not personaly step in to remove the content from this otherwise reputable site. If we were to remove our forums (something I would prefer not to do unless we get a good comments system going) then they could link to us. I dont think its fair to say they wouldnt help us, since they are not obliged to help us in the first place, just because we have common interests doesn't mean they should have to. They would no more be obliged to help us than they would a website based around sewing machines. To their credit, Ive had occasions where I needed to ask for help on a few things, like invisionfree features when we swapped to these forums, and the staffer I contacted was very helpful.

In the site's current state, the best way to get more people here would be to make and post MOCs, stories, etc and to generaly have fun. If you have a freind who likes Hero Factory, Bionicle, or LEGO products in general you can point him to our site.

Im hoping to have some work done on the main page, or to have a new site built that can allow members to personaly create news articles and show off their creations, where they would wait to be approved and published to the public section of the news pages by a staffer. If I keep the forums in the process, that would certainly get more member activity. If I drop the forums for a good comment system, then we would merge the forum's function into the front page. It hasnt been going too well though, what I might just do is hire a proffesional site and pay them to build one for me, problem is I make no money from this site and it would all come out of pocket.
Please keep text and images well managed so they do not become an eyesore, and please only quote or talk about others in your signiture if its alright with the member you are talking about. Want your work featured on our front page? Post it in my to do list!

15 Jul 2011, 05:11 #5

In the site's current state, the best way to get more people here would be to make and post MOCs, stories, etc and to generaly have fun. If you have a freind who likes Hero Factory, Bionicle, or LEGO products in general you can point him to our site.
Very good policy. I do my best when talking to friends to point them here, but many think it pointless to jump to a relatively inactive forum. Those same people feel a sort of dissention with BZP due to their content shift from BIONICLE to Lego system. In a lot of ways, I see MoD possibly becoming a future refuge for those who feel a rift between them and BZP (which I know will happen; not everyone will be happy with the content shift).

-Mesonak

16 Jul 2011, 03:22 #6

Also, when you try to mention MoD on BZP it gets filtered to "Mentioning sites with forums = against the rules" or something like that. :P
Who's a silly pony?

18 Jul 2011, 00:31 #7

As much as it would be nice, they wouldnt help us, for reasons already stated. I personally would want more people here so we can have fresh topics every couple of days and have a good convosation on each, but not so many people
That the topic will be forgotten in a day or 2 ( Bzp, to an extent) I think having maybe 50ish new, active members will acheive this balance. It sucks because BZP is offline and a bit overcrouded, tth3 dosen't even talk about BIONICLE any more, an the good ol' MoD is suffering from a member shortage. Oh well, life goes on and things eventually change.
Must the show go on?

18 Jul 2011, 03:09 #8

Well not all topics get lost within a day or two. Some it's three! :P

Maybe we could all post a link to MoD on various forums?
Who's a silly pony?

18 Jul 2011, 13:58 #9

Maybe we could all post a link to MoD on various forums?

Generaly its connsidered rude to advertise other forums on a forum. I'd ask the site staff for their blessing before posting any links to our site from there.
Please keep text and images well managed so they do not become an eyesore, and please only quote or talk about others in your signiture if its alright with the member you are talking about. Want your work featured on our front page? Post it in my to do list!

18 Jul 2011, 14:14 #10

Why don't you just advertise this maskofdestiny.com site to the friends you know? Plus, the reason why there isn't a lot of activity on the forums is because Bionicle ended.

I would start talking more about the Hero Factory though, if the sets were only better. Like if they had gear functions or something. I would think by now LEGO would use the flexible joints + gear functions technique on their sets (2004 sets were the best!)

18 Jul 2011, 15:03 #11

well, This idea got crushed rather thoroughly. Oh well. At least I got a record number of posts on a topic :P How did BZP get so many members anyway?

19 Jul 2011, 00:11 #12

SuperNuva @ Jul 18 2011, 03:03 PM wrote: well, This idea got crushed rather thoroughly. Oh well. At least I got a record number of posts on a topic :P How did BZP get so many members anyway?
I'm not sure exactly seeing as I was only 5 when it formed but I do remember the it was originally two very active sites merged into one.
Must the show go on?

19 Jul 2011, 01:45 #13

Adrninistrator @ Jul 18 2011, 07:58 AM wrote: Maybe we could all post a link to MoD on various forums?

Generaly its connsidered rude to advertise other forums on a forum. I'd ask the site staff for their blessing before posting any links to our site from there.
K. Some other sites have topics that say to post other forums.
And so you don't have to ban a lot of people, I WILL NOT post the link on Metalstorm. :P

And BZP got a bunch of members, because it was originally two sites, and they posted BZP links on the lego forums... ALOT. xD and put their link on the Bionicle wiki.
Who's a silly pony?

27 Jul 2012, 15:32 #14

SuperNuva @ Jul 14 2011, 06:45 PM wrote: This Topic got me thinking about how to get more members. I think I may have the perfect idea. Think of how many users are on BZPower, reading the news every day, anxious to have the forums back. Forums is something we have. My idea is to get BZPower to help us somehow. Just think, if BZPower posts a news report on us, and only 10% of BZPower users read it, and only 10% of them joined, we would have several times more users here. Now imagine numbers bigger than 10%. I sense opportunity here.
I have some friends.And I can tell LEGO.com message boards to go to forumsofdesiny.com and make accaunts.
:) I am waiting your to tell me to go and do this in LEGO.com!
;) ;) ;)

''Golyo after the Great Cataclism!''

27 Jul 2012, 21:44 #15

I could advertise this place on some other forums I go to that allow open affiliation.

06 Aug 2012, 21:23 #16

How bout we make a facebook page for it? It worked for bzp.
I am Arctic, Matoran of Ice.

"If you do as much as waste my time again, then I will crack your head against your own tombstone!"

"...Those Axonians don't sound very nice."
Axon and Jaller - The Chronicles of Jaller

Arctic's Comics

06 Aug 2012, 23:00 #17

Arctic @ Aug 6 2012, 09:23 PM wrote: How bout we make a facebook page for it? It worked for bzp.
I would "like" that page if Mask of Destiny had a Facebook page. But at the same time, why need too? We can discuss and post pics on the forums here! Unless you want to get some Facebook peeps to be interested. Idk. :/

07 Aug 2012, 09:36 #18

Matoro @ Aug 7 2012, 01:00 AM wrote: Unless you want to get some Facebook peeps to be interested. Idk. :/
I was under the impression that getting FB peeps interested was the whole point.
In Po-Koro,and all of the vellages!

09 Aug 2012, 01:31 #19

Heat @ Aug 7 2012, 01:36 AM wrote:
Matoro @ Aug 7 2012, 01:00 AM wrote:I would "like" that page if Mask of Destiny had a Facebook page. But at the same time, why need too? We can discuss and post pics on the forums here! Unless you want to get some Facebook peeps to be interested. Idk. :/
I was under the impression that getting FB peeps interested was the whole point.
Yeah that was the point I was trying to get across.

Think about it, tons of people go on Facebook! We could advertise there and maybe some Lego fans may be interested.
I am Arctic, Matoran of Ice.

"If you do as much as waste my time again, then I will crack your head against your own tombstone!"

"...Those Axonians don't sound very nice."
Axon and Jaller - The Chronicles of Jaller

Arctic's Comics