Ikir, Creature of Fire

If you have a BIONICLE set and want to review it for the community, post here.

Ikir, Creature of Fire

07 May 2016, 22:43 #1

As said, these are with Photos. I'm going to link them, because they were way too huge on my Gali Uniter Review. Tell me what exactly you prefer. I'm happy to do either, though I figure Immy will prefer this one.

Hello all! Baxor here, reviewing the 71303 Ikir, Creature of Fire, in all his Glory.

Ikir

Stats: 71303 Ikir, Creature of Fire costs $10 (that's USD for our U.S. Fans; sorry Canadians/significant others), and contains 77 pieces, joining the ranks of “sets cheaper than 10 bucks that have more pieces than Pohatu, Master of Stone.” It/he contains a Shadow Trap, the new, 2016 #6150664 Elemental Shard-Sword piece, and (praise Mata-Nui), a Gear Mechanism.

Elements: As already mentioned, this contains two of the new #6150664 Elemental Shard-Sword pieces, these in Vahi Orange. In contains several #6016236 Elemental flame-piece which were on the Protectors, and even two golden CHIMA® wing-pieces used as tail feathers.

Tail Picture

Perhaps best of all, it contains the new #6135190 Uniter piece, though unfortunately it is in the 2nd most common colour: gold. I must admit that I really like the dynamic uses of this piece, particularly as an armour piece, though it's not a simple to attach as the others, requiring several pieces and the limb-piece with axle attachment.

Finally, and most uniquely, it contains the new #6135042 Creature head piece. I actually think that this piece could be used well in an MoC, perhaps as an armour piece over the chest, or even as shoulder armour. I doubt that the former would work well, unfortunately, because it has a single ball-and-socket point of attachment. This would make the chest-plate hard, but not impossible to do.

Other than that, it contains a heavy dose of TECHNIC® parts, some #6100892 silver-grey Protector feet, the Shadow Trap piece, and a bunch (about 8) of #6021344 trans-flame-red claw pieces. Lastly, but not least, it contains one of my top-five favourite pieces in the entirety of LEGO©, the #6111281 Bohrok eye, because of its dynamic uses.

Aesthetics: Shadow Trap first:

Of all of the Shadow Traps, I must admit this one is my least favourite. It is generally bland, featuring simple trans-red claw pieces and a blue bulb for an eye. Besides the Shadow Trap pieces themselves, there's nothing atypically interesting about this Shadow Trap. I will say, though, that in general I do like the idea of the Shadow Trap. I just don't like the fire one.

Ikir, Creature of Fire, and most of the other Creatures, are a breath of fresh air to the TECHNIC-BIONICLE community. For those of you who were fans of Classic BIONICLE®(most, if not all of you), you remember the grand proliferation of TECHNIC parts. Even after the theme Went Inika in 06', the theme didn't really give up its TECHNIC roots. It appears that LEGO considered this fact a hand-cap, because as soon as Hero Factory came around, TLG indulged in a new type of parts. Having grown up with the TECHNIC-Based BIONICLE sets (despite coming in late to the theme, about 2007), the lack of TECHNIC pieces was one of my excuses to not buy Hero Factory.

Thankfully, with the return of BIONICLE, LEGO appears to be returning to more TECHNIC based sets, especially with the new Torso(Love it!). Honestly, I would like them to have completely done away with Hero Factory pieces, but obviously, the effects of the Transition Year are still effecting us. Even the transitions from Throwbots to RoboRiders, and RoboRiders to BIONICLE, saw some parts that had a hard time leaving(think, in particular of Pohatu Mata's hands, which were huge parts of Throwbots).

Anyhow, This set is largely TECHNIC based, feature a badly working(in the manner of Gali's Master version), Gear Mechanism. It , and a few other creatures, are some of the few of this January's sets which feature bare ball-and-socket joints. Thankfully, these don't look horribly bad, like they did on several of the Master sets.

The colour scheme, in general, is good, but the TECHNIC parts in the centre provide a strange colour distribution. Particularly the black and light-grey elements stick out. The upper top of the body, particularly the wings and head, fit together remarkably well as far as colouring, distributing the trans-red-orange, gold, silver, and grey. The colour scheme for the legs and feet looks a little strange, because the claws and legs are trans-orange, and the feet are a silver-grey, so the colour scheme doesn't work very well together. However, it doesn't stick out, at least in my opinion. I wish that there was more black in the model, particularly because of the torso piece which the model uses. Because that black part is not fully covered by the Uniter piece and leg sockets, it leaves you asking, “Where's the black?”

As far as build and appearance, I will say that it looks very good. You get the feel that Ikir is almost some form of Über-small dragon, which I think is cool. The big problem that I have would have to be the wings. From the front, they look fine, but they are flat and almost two-dimensional, so if you look at it from different angles, it seems kind of weird-looking. I like the gold tail, and the heel that they added to the feet using Bohrok eyes.

The Bohrok-Eye Feet

Finally, when combined with Tahu, Ikir looks amazing. The combination model is probably my second favourite, only surpassed by Kopaka, or perhaps Onua. Also, the two-dimensionality which I previously complained about actually works really well when Ikir is combined with Tahu.

New Elements: I'm changing this section(which used to be best and worst elements), into new elements, which is more of what I was hoping to achieve by that section.

Now, this section is going to be rather long, because this has several new pieces which are proliferated throughout the entirety of Season 2 of New BIONICLE. I'll go ahead and list them:#6135124 Shadow Trap piece, #6135042 Creature Head Piece, #6150664 the Elemental Shard-Sword piece, and finally(though I'm not sure if this is a new piece, though it seems like it) #6143848 grey TECHNIC Gear-Axel piece. First I'll go over the #6135124 Shadow Trap piece.

The Shadow Trap Piece

This is probably my second favourite piece of New BIONICLE, only surpassed by the Elemental Shard-Sword. I think it has some dynamic uses, one of which LEGO has already cashed in on: shoulder-armour (in Umarak). However, that is not its limit. I could imagine that with a large figure, one could use it as a knee-cap or the end of a large foot. Also, one could obviously use it as a hand, and a weapon could be made pretty easily.

Elemental Shard-Sword

This next piece is the #6150664 Elemental Shard-Sword. This is undoubtedly my favourite part from new BIONICLE, and at least my second favourite throughout the entirety of BIONICLE. Although it's in a lot of sets, it comes in different colours. I still want to gripe with LEGO about the fact that this piece has not yet come in Amethyst purple for the Earth Toa who have been gypped, both of the Elemental Flame-piece and of the Elemental Shard-Sword. I think that this piece(like most sword-pieces) is a good, all around MoC'ing piece, and the sort of burnt orange plastic is an interesting colour choice.

Uniter Piece

The Uniter piece must be one of my favourite pieces, because it hearkens back to the time when additional armour was attached to a different piece by a TECHNIC Axel and TECHNIC parts in general. Unfortunately, on this downside this isn't simply attached by a TECHNIC Axel. It requires, at minimum, 4 pieces to attach to the leg, making it less efficient than old parts. However, it looks very good aesthetically. I wish that they would simply make more kinds, though, considering that this got monumentally better from Season 1 to 2, I am willing to be patient on LEGO.

Creature Head

The #6135042 Creature Head Piece is the next piece I will deal with. I have already mentioned this in the Element section, so I'm going to breeze over this. Basically, it is primarily either Gold or Silver(Creatures of Ice, Fire, and Earth are gold, the others are silver), and feature a trans-colour(By element) on the back of their head. The eyes are there, but hard to spot, so in general, this is a good MoC piece.

Gear-Axle

As I already said, I'm not sure if this is a new piece, but it's certainly new to me. The #6143848 grey TECHNIC gear-axel, is a TECHNIC piece featured in several of the creatures, including Ikir. I like it as a piece, and I think that it could have a wide range of uses for MoC'ing, though mostly, I might imagine, for working wing pieces, as with this model. Honestly, though, this isn't really the type of piece I would personally use on an MoC, so I will have to test it at some point.

Cool Stuff: Ikir, like all of the Protectors(Akida might not, she's the only January 2016 set I don't have), has a gear system, but unfortunately, I'm classifying most all of the others, though not this one, as a DohGear. The gear system serves more of a purpose here than the others, serving to simulate the beating motion of a bird-of-prey's wings very well. Unfortunately, much like the Master version of Gali, the friction on the ball-and-socket joints doesn't hold up to the motion. And, unless you want to count the Shadow Trap, that's pretty much all of the Cool Stuff.

My Opinion: I must admit, it's good to see more TECHNIC pieces with this model. The lack of TECHNIC pieces was probably the worst effect of Hero Factory®, so it's good to see that the Constraction theme appears to be recovering and returning to its TECHNIC roots. However, this brings up the issue of colour scheme. I think that the centre-concentrated light-grey, dark-grey, and black parts makes it look rather strange. I would have had them do away with the grey parts and replace them with either all light-grey, or full black. Black would work great with the trans-orange pieces of the model, and (except by the wings), the light-grey would look fine as well.

Rating: I rate Ikir, Creature of Fire 3/4(a good set probably worth buying), because he has a wide assortment of piece despite being only ten dollars, and has some fairly good(though not perfect), aesthetics. I give it kudos for being one of the only Creatures to have a good-looking and useful Gear Mechanism. As I said, though, its Shadow Trap(compared to the others), seems to be a rather half-arsed attempt. As the rating said, it's worth the buy, if only for the pieces.

Please remember to post your comments, as well as any suggested sections that I should add. Till next time, this is Baxor signing off!
I'll twist hakann's head so far he can stare himself in the eye
-Vezok

'Yo, yo Piraka' is still alive!!!

13 May 2016, 04:37 #2

I have't had time to read all the way through your reviews yet, but I do like what I've read so far. The pictures are coming out pretty good too. A few are coming out just slightly blurred though. I usually take two or three pictures of each thing to help make sure I get a clear shot.

Are you using a camera or a tablet/phone? Do you have any macro settings you can use if your not already using them? It might help with getting clear pictures. I usually try to stand back a few feet and use the optical zoom with macro on to get better shots.

Nice observation on the Pohatu part count, I don't think I would have ever noticed a detail like that.

I think the links work best for the pictures on the forums. You could resize them to fit onto the page, but I like being able to click the link to see the full sized picture and all the detail.
Please keep text and images well managed so they do not become an eyesore, and please only quote or talk about others in your signiture if its alright with the member you are talking about. Want your work featured on our front page? Post it in my to do list!

12 Jun 2016, 20:09 #3

I used my parent's Cannon camera. And honestly, I don't know that well how to actually use it. I borrow it from time to time because my own camera currently has something wrong with it, but I don't spend much time using it other than that.

I think the slight blur issue comes from the fact that, at certain distances it doesn't want to focus on the picture, but I want it to take in a certain limited space. So, I move it out so that it just barely focuses. I may simply take them from a longer distance and then crop out the parts that are impertinent.
I'll twist hakann's head so far he can stare himself in the eye
-Vezok

'Yo, yo Piraka' is still alive!!!

13 Jun 2016, 01:11 #4

Try to look for a flower icon on the settings somewhere, usually it can be enabled by pressing left on a D-Pad like dial. That's the Macro which is designed for close up shots. My cameras too seem to hate focusing sometimes, but tend to focus better with more light in the room. I usually do a half push of the button that takes the photograph to tell it to focus, and then push it all the way in to take the photo, looking at the preview screen afterwards to try and tell if it's sharp enough. If not, Ill take two or three more pictures just to be safe.

Like you suggested doing, standing back further to give the lends room to focus is likely a good idea, and cropping it the stuff you don't want. With Megapixel ratings these days you can usually still get enough detail. Try standing back further, but also zooming in afterwards too, sometimes that works for me.
Please keep text and images well managed so they do not become an eyesore, and please only quote or talk about others in your signiture if its alright with the member you are talking about. Want your work featured on our front page? Post it in my to do list!