The Return of BIONICLE?

For all things BIONICLE that don't fit into the other forums.

04 Aug 2014, 00:03 #31

It could be argued that every post-Inika Toa and Glatorian was, also. And I'd agree with whoever was doing the arguing.

Granted they were nowhere near as guilty as HF but socket redesigns aside there were only two new "frame" pieces for a canister-sized set (upper limbs, lower limbs or the skeleton of the torso) after 2006, Kongu/Pohatu's "shoulderblades" and the Mistika Makuta torso. The Av-Matoran got a terrible design consisting of a minimum of a paltry 13 pieces which was for some incomprehensible reason continued through into the final two years without even the excuse that these were exclusively happy meal sets or a small part of a much larger whole as with the Tohunga-era Matoran.

Not that I didn't like the Inika torso but it got very stale, overused and unappealing for a prospective buyer and I don't think bringing Bionicle back using a system that's already seen four years of use is an answer to this problem. This IS its first wave back and I will give it some slack as a result but at least from the preliminary images I've seen I'm not drawn to buy any of them.

Much in the same way I ridicule videogame developers who just put a fresh coat of paint on last year's game and call it new. You know at least one of the series I'm talking about. To me that just shows chronic laziness, more than a little greed, an uncaring attitude towards the product and a lack of respect for their audience.
It's not illegal, it's just cheating.

I'm into exam time right now... I'll be checking up frequently, but I don't expect to be posting in the next two weeks or so unless something really catches my eye.

04 Aug 2014, 15:26 #32

Update:Apparently if you go to LEGO.com and type in BIONICLE, it brings you to a coming soon poster, and says to come back later.

Article here*

@Takal: I was actually surprised that(When the colour photo came out) I actually liked how the sets looked. I think I'd buy some of them, and I'm only really worried for the storyline now.

EDIT:You type it in on Shop@Home. Jut thought I'd clarify.

*Article courtesy thebrickfan.com
I'll twist hakann's head so far he can stare himself in the eye
-Vezok

'Yo, yo Piraka' is still alive!!!

16 Aug 2014, 00:15 #33

Let's just hope that, in the case of this all going well, we might get something on film close to or at least in imitation of the scale of the LEGO Movie. The one thing that really bugged me about B4 and the HF series was how sparsely populated they felt. Mask of Light and LoMN especially felt huge! So just one more Bionicle one-off flick and I'll be satisfied, otherwise come what may.
Searching for AOTY 2014.

16 Aug 2014, 01:29 #34

OH! That reminds me! Make sure everyone subscribes for a monthly (or is it bi-monthly?) LEGO Magazine before December 2014! (Does LEGO still do LEGO Magazines? It has been awhile since I've last received one back in 2010.)

Maybe the ol' tradition of Bionicle comics would come back!

31 Aug 2014, 01:04 #35

I think we can expect an announcement at NYCC. Perfect time and place for LEGO to say something.
#ThreatToSurvival

31 Aug 2014, 03:27 #36

Yeah that's my guess, with BZPower being given a few passes to hand out to their members, its making me suspicious its a BIONICLE thing, the only thing that makes me think otherwise is the phrase "new theme" rather than announcing "a theme".
Please keep text and images well managed so they do not become an eyesore, and please only quote or talk about others in your signiture if its alright with the member you are talking about. Want your work featured on our front page? Post it in my to do list!

01 Sep 2014, 13:23 #37

@Matoro: They do still use the LEGO Magazine in the U.S. Yeah, I hope that BIONICLE comics start up again as well. I have a collection to add on to.

@Immy: Do you mean that you do or do not think BIONICLE will return?

Two other things

One being, who still thinks that BIONICLE will return. The second, who still hopes BIONICLE will return?

As to whether I think it will return, I am not sure. I would have previously said yes, but all significant evidence is rapidly disappearing in the past.

I do hope the BIONICLE returns, but only under these conditions:
One: Edge-of-your-seat storyline, or at least a classic epic storyline.
Two: That the pictures of the BIONICLEs (See first post) are what the first series toys will be.

Now, one last question. What type of basic storyline would you like to see coming from BIONICLE. As for me, if LEGO did a mirror dimension side of the events of the past BIONICLE story in a really alluring way, that would be awesome. If you don't understand what I mean, the new Star Trek movies are a great example.
-Vezok

02 Sep 2014, 01:57 #38

Baxor, my guess is since BZPower is one of the largest BIONICLE fan sites, for them to get passes to give away to their members is like saying "We want to make sure some of the diehard BIONICLE fans are there for the new BIONICLE theme."

That's my guess though, and what the evidence suggests. It's still possible they just want to get the word out on any new theme though, maybe another theme using the same hero factory parts, maybe another brick building theme like Chiima.

If it returns, a mirrored universe like from the new star trek might actually be good. (anyone unfamiliar, the last two, into darkness and the one before it, take place in another universe with slightly different events that create a new branch of events)

It would be nice to see the toa in a continuation where the original took off, but I'd like them to leave some things unanswered, take advantage of the worlds being reunited to suggest the properties of both worlds merging into one has temporary and lasting side effects, having to relearn things. Have some mystery put back into the universe that they took out by answering everything in the last story.

Fixed that for you.
Please keep text and images well managed so they do not become an eyesore, and please only quote or talk about others in your signiture if its alright with the member you are talking about. Want your work featured on our front page? Post it in my to do list!

02 Sep 2014, 14:40 #39

One of the things which I disliked about the last season of BIONICLE was that the universe suddenly seemed so small. The mystery dispersed, if you will. I think that the mirror universe strories that Farshtey does are some of the best ones.

Edit:I was just looking on Wikipedia to see if they had anything about up-and-coming-BIONICLE, and I found MoD in the External links part of it. Wonder who put it there?
-Vezok

15 Sep 2014, 21:59 #40

In all honesty I do like the new-style Bionicle pieces. The issue comes from them being layered over the horrendously misfitting standard HF bodies. I think if they'd built the system around the pieces they've developed rather than just sticking them over the stock body type they might have ended up with something that looked good. I do appreciate that Gali's tool has more complexity and piece count than an entire Stars set, mind you.

As I said in a Skype chat on the subject of these images, expecting the constraction team to design a new body design is like expecting a sudden change in the earth's orbit.

Also why are the Toa Mata on pest control duty? I get they were trying to do a smaller-scale story but this just looks like a demotion.

Edit: by "bionicle pieces" I mean the masks, weapon parts and overcladding. And no mention of the word "Toa" anywhere... Hmm...

I'm into exam time right now... I'll be checking up frequently, but I don't expect to be posting in the next two weeks or so unless something really catches my eye.

16 Sep 2014, 00:26 #41

I like the design for Gali and Tahu. Gali, because she looks like a alien character from Destiny. Tahu, because he looks like he would belong in Bionicle MoL movie.

Kopaka is ok...the color scheme is messed up though. Is LEGO trying to get the point across, "Don't eat yellow snow?" WHAT IS THIS!?

Overall, I don't like what I am seeing unfortunately. They remind me of Hero Factory. I don't like the hands...doesn't seem right. I don't like Kopaka and Tahu's mask. They feel cartoonish in a way. I don't like the lack of intricate pieces.

===

But I am keeping my hopes up. Hopefully, they'll evolve back to the Technic design someday...someday...That is why I enjoyed Bionicle in the first place! Technic actually had a branch other than vehicles all the time! Now, it seems it broke off that branch to form a new its own thing. Which is ok...but keep Bionicle...Bionicle the way it was originally! Ya know?

Heck, I'm still waiting for a non-vehicular Technic set to come out! (Besides Mindstorms, that's expensive yo!)

16 Sep 2014, 00:42 #42

I agree: New parts = oooh shiny

O_O Kopaka

Hope these are still preliminary, or transitional to an improved system that takes the best of both worlds with it.

Masters instead of Toa probably another step in reducing the use of Maori language references, they probably didn't use hero (Didn't toa mean hero?) because translating Toa of ice into Hero of ice sounds weird, so they use Master of ice instead.

Skull krata: The included creature is probably there to provide a sort of complete play experience without having to buy a villain (kind of like the creatures for the Hero Factory mechs to capture). I'm guessing it's purpose is to latch onto a victims face, and may be some new form of kraata and/or krana. Clever thinking/design I say, as the krana require removing the masks before which is harder since they are no longer intended to fall off. Having adjustable claws means it can latch onto the mask or elsewhere without removal. Even the appearance of a face on the backs of the spider thing suggests it clips over a mask.

Mini midaks: Im trying to figure out if these actually fire or if it's an imagination weapon. I've seen several constraction super hero figures that use similar parts for guns of a sort but don't fire. Theres enough I cant see to suggest it may actually fire, but logic suggests they don't. Small projectiles = hect no for some parents, on top of being easily lost. If they actually fire or are placeholders for something that can... I have many mocs in mind to use them.

16 Sep 2014, 17:36 #43

Matoro @ Sep 16 2014, 12:26 AM wrote: Gali, because she looks like a alien character from Destiny.
Don't you dare compare Toa Gali to a Fallen, Matoro!

I believe the spiders with the skull-like mask are called (prepare for lack of imagination) Skull Spiders, seeing as the large black spider set's name that's been going around is the Lord of Skull Spiders. I had been keeping tabs on this via tTH's Skype chat for some months but as the links were nowhere near respectable sources I hadn't wanted to link anything here, as I myself was skeptical.

17 Sep 2014, 00:44 #44

Takal @ Sep 16 2014, 05:36 PM wrote:
Matoro @ Sep 16 2014, 12:26 AM wrote: Gali, because she looks like a alien character from Destiny.
Don't you dare compare Toa Gali to a Fallen, Matoro!
You mean "protector." Not "toa" ...nvm same thing. xP We'll see in 2015 if she is the real Gali we all know and love! :) But you have to admit, her new look does kind of look cool.

17 Sep 2014, 06:23 #45

Mask and tool, yes. Body, no.

20 Sep 2014, 13:45 #46

I think they will certainly make them with new parts.
However i think in the building system there will be still HeroFacory parts

Now,i dont know so well but didint the Mahri broke a peace of land and the whole Mata Nui went underwater?That means that all the toas and the turagas went underwater.So there is no more Mata Nui and Toas and turagas and matorans...

I hope that the storyline is going to be as good as the 2001-2010 because i have seen some things that were realy good before and then they were discontinued and then when they returned they were ruined.....I just hope really much to make is as good or better than the 2001-2010.

I dont think that calling the Toa Masters or Guardians is gonna be ok.I personaly liked them as Toa

The TTV broadcast and some shops said that the sets would be 10$-30$.

And for last - i would LOVE Lego to make some games about BIonicle again.Because i have already finished BIONICLE Heroes and BIONICLE the first game.
I would like if they make films too.

''Golyo after the Great Cataclism!''

25 Sep 2014, 14:50 #47

Go to lego.com, click on products, scroll down to bottom, and I think we have all the proof we need.

Initially, I'm thrilled to death, and then I think: "Holy crap they are gonna botch this up."
I bet they aren't even going to use any of the same characters from before. It's going to be a completely new section of the galaxy, with similar characters, and the story is going to be almost as bad as Hero Factory's. *sigh*
“Who are you and why are you here?'
'I'm here to kill you.'
'Oh. I knew there was something about you I liked.” ― Greg Farshtey

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://bioniclefanfic.blogspot.com
http://biosector01.com
http://bioniclewikia.com
http://bzpower.com
http://torissanikole.blogspot.com
http://about.me/torissanikole

25 Sep 2014, 23:51 #48

If the sneak peak shows anything it wouldnt show up on my portable. Story wise, how good is ninjago and chima? Perhaps if they are any good then there is hope for BIONICLE.

Thanks for the news by the way ^__^

26 Sep 2014, 23:01 #49

No problem! :)
But on the actual site, they don't have anything under Sneak Peek yet, so I guess they are still in the planning stage. However, I did see that the new mask that happens to be plastered all over the web is the Mask of Creation. Makes me wonder if they are bringing Artakha back into all of this...
And I honestly hated Ninjago and Chima, so yeah...
“Who are you and why are you here?'
'I'm here to kill you.'
'Oh. I knew there was something about you I liked.” ― Greg Farshtey

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://bioniclefanfic.blogspot.com
http://biosector01.com
http://bioniclewikia.com
http://bzpower.com
http://torissanikole.blogspot.com
http://about.me/torissanikole

28 Sep 2014, 22:42 #50

You do realise it's Tahu, Kopaka, Lewa, Pohatu, Gali and Onua, right, Spiderstorm?

12 Oct 2014, 00:09 #51

What I heard was that Mata Nui and Makuta are both mask makers, they are brothers, and that there's some conflict between them. Anyway, Mata Nui being a giant robot... is that not canon anymore? Like how much of the original story got scrapped? Can they even call this new thing Bionicle?

I personally don't like the new designs, they're okay but they're using those stupid hand pieces and Kopaka has an annoying gold pattern on his chest. None of the old pieces had anything printed on them, they were solid color. It sort of set Bionicle apart from the rest of Lego.

12 Oct 2014, 03:57 #52

Okay so you have heard about the brothers being mask makers, I just tries to answer a few of your questions in another topic XP

The gold makes sense to some degree, they all appear to come with the gold version of their normal mask. The gold in some of the character's armor is likely to help the gold mask blend in to the rest of their colors.