The Ultimate Point of Bionicle

For all things BIONICLE that don't fit into the other forums.

The Ultimate Point of Bionicle

18 Jul 2014, 02:20 #1

Let me just reappear for a brief moment here to propose some rather interesting ideas I was swapping with an old Bionicle friend about the nature of the story. Despite the dramatic shift in storytelling in 2004 and again in 2008, this is an all-encompassing hypothesis. It actually leaves a whole lot of room for the post-2008 material, much of which I honestly either ignored or at the time wasn't very interested in...Great Being(s) becoming even more plural, an army of Makutas, an expansive "secret" history of the canon the original team knew nothing about, and most of all...giant extraterrestrial mechanical cities.

The story of Bionicle started out as being very simplistic, primordial, and elemental. From those original web games to the four books released in the first couple of years and very episodic comic book tales, it felt very self-contained. Of course, with the Toas' limited knowledge of their island and their very selves, it was fitting that you were stuck in a cramped space with very big mysteries surrounding it (remember when the fact that it was red was the ONLY thing known about the Red Star?).

At the end of 2003, we were hit with what was a big revelation and an incredible expansion to the story: The Toa were not six heroes on one island, but an organization of heroes that had been (essentially) driven into hiding and extinction by the time our story begins. There were multiple teams of Toa throughout time, and many cohabitating in the ever-growing (in our minds) realm of the Matoran.

The next game-changer was an even more dramatic revelation...that the Matoran and the entire Bionicle universe/planet as we knew it had been seeded by extraterrestrials with technology vastly superior to anything we'd seen before, whether it was in the agriculture-based Mata-Nui or former industrial empire of Metru-Nui. Essentially, the message was that all our big adventures were a lot smaller than we thought...and under external influences of which we were not originally aware.

These new ideas, coupled with the revelation that the Red Star was essentially a checkpoint for Matoran souls (to simplify) overturned every previously conceived notion about the universe. But the real interesting stuff is when we apply the biological chronicle to our own evolution.

Here are the primary elements to consider when applying the story of Bionicle as an open interpretation on our own history:
Isolation of the first civilization to which we're introduced; agriculture-based with early industrial progress (Onu-Koro, Ta-Koro). In other words, much like early human civilizations. Even the way the story is told is as self-contained as ancient proverbs and parables, as opposed to later entries in the series.
Previously fallen empires introduced later on; the idea that someone has "come before" and that said events having been influenced by forces greater than the common people...Matoran, Turaga, even the Toa.
The notion that the entire civilization is not indigenous to its homeworld, but has been seeded there by "great beings" from other worlds. (Post-2008)

Anyone else thinking someone at LEGO is into ancient astronauts? Maybe Greg? He was looking into dino-related stuff when the line was ending...perhaps suggestions of man and dino co-existing/hunting them to extinction and that whole debacle?

Bionicle is literally filled to overflowing with references to or suggestions of ufology-related ideas...even the Red Star has its own version in human lore: some enthusiasts believe in the idea of reincarnation from the perspective of our own souls being assigned, whether by another intelligence or by our own design.

It's bizarre but interesting. Thoughts?
Searching for AOTY 2014.

18 Jul 2014, 03:15 #2

It sounds like an interesting theory, though I think it would be more or less coincidental that it bears similarities to ancient astronaut theories.

It makes me wonder when and how much thinking ahead they did with each additional chunk of story, for example, the whole giant robot mata nui and reuniting the planets...was that pre planned as early as the metru nui segment or planned after the voya nui, etc. I wonder how much of the story had to be adjusted in a particular direction to account for each previous chapter, if that makes any sense.

About the most interesting theory I came up with was the possibility the people of the Hero Factory universe are the predecessors of the matoran race. I've always thought when Greg talked about the next Bionicle thing having nothing to do with Bionicle, he wasn't talking about the glatorian but rather what turned out to be the Hero Factory universe (Since the glatorian chapter was actually a big part of the Bionicle story after all), though what I understood was it was a spiritual successor and not a prequel.

I think if they wanted they could bridge the two themes together easily, though I cant say I'd be fond of that becoming true. For one thing it'd mean my mostly complete collection of Bionicle stuff becomes much less complete because I've skipped a large number Hero Factory sets XD
Please keep text and images well managed so they do not become an eyesore, and please only quote or talk about others in your signiture if its alright with the member you are talking about. Want your work featured on our front page? Post it in my to do list!

21 Jul 2014, 15:54 #3

Adrninistrator @ Jul 18 2014, 03:15 AM wrote: About the most interesting theory I came up with was the possibility the people of the Hero Factory universe are the predecessors of the matoran race. I've always thought when Greg talked about the next Bionicle thing having nothing to do with Bionicle, he wasn't talking about the glatorian but rather what turned out to be the Hero Factory universe (Since the glatorian chapter was actually a big part of the Bionicle story after all), though what I understood was it was a spiritual successor and not a prequel.

I think if they wanted they could bridge the two themes together easily, though I cant say I'd be fond of that becoming true.
Well LEGO could do what like Valve did with their game series. How each of their games are somehow connected in one universe (except for TF2 maybe).

Like I was wondering if the LEGO Hockey players (technic version) falls in part of the Hero Factory Universe.

21 Jul 2014, 18:45 #4

Greg's definitely big on the themes... Think he could have stood to reign it in a bit, though. The constant revelations were fine by me up until the Mata Nui being a giant robot one.

I have no problems with that one itself, it just kinda' opened the floodgates for a stream of reveals that I felt served little purpose or simply bloated the canon. Making Mata Nui more tangible made sense, and it had been something worked towards since the '01 storyline but I felt that the motives, powers and identities of the Great Beings were best left alone. They're a different kind of mysticism that served their purpose better by existing outside the story, or inside largely as myths.

Plus I never was a fan of the Brotherhood reveal.
It's not illegal, it's just cheating.

I'm into exam time right now... I'll be checking up frequently, but I don't expect to be posting in the next two weeks or so unless something really catches my eye.

23 Jul 2014, 02:16 #5

Takal @ Jul 21 2014, 06:45 PM wrote: Greg's definitely big on the themes... Think he could have stood to reign it in a bit, though. The constant revelations were fine by me up until the Mata Nui being a giant robot one.

I have no problems with that one itself, it just kinda' opened the floodgates for a stream of reveals that I felt served little purpose or simply bloated the canon. Making Mata Nui more tangible made sense, and it had been something worked towards since the '01 storyline but I felt that the motives, powers and identities of the Great Beings were best left alone. They're a different kind of mysticism that served their purpose better by existing outside the story, or inside largely as myths.

Plus I never was a fan of the Brotherhood reveal.
I agree. Once the great beings and evil beings started to become tangible, the Universe started to become more revealing, thus there was very little room for "fun mystery" to go around.

I've always pictured Mata Nui as some kind of "Great Spirit" or "god figure" for the matoran, before his reveal as a large robot.

16 Aug 2014, 00:12 #6

Takal @ Jul 21 2014, 06:45 PM wrote: Greg's definitely big on the themes... Think he could have stood to reign it in a bit, though. The constant revelations were fine by me up until the Mata Nui being a giant robot one.
And I realize dumping an explanation all at once as the forum forum (lel) requires makes my post a bit overwhelming even to write, but I ultimately wanted to relate back to the themes and archetypes. The specifics of alien life, technology, religion, and so forth I meant to interpret as rather open, but guided by what appeared at the time to be extremely dramatic storytelling decisions.

Of course he could have. :rolleyes: We all could have. Have to say I also agree on the treatment of Mata Nui. Hard to care about good or evil when the best good guys and worst bad guys are constantly one-upped... I can't help but wonder if the yearly Toa update hurt more than it helped as well.
Searching for AOTY 2014.

19 Aug 2014, 01:28 #7

This might be a little irrelevant. But the thing is that I never really followed the lore storyline after "Matoro's sacrifice" in 2007. I kind of regretted it too, because I don't understand what happened that made the story go further for it to introduce 2008's storyline.

Here is my interpretation...
In 2003, Takanuva had awoken Mata Nui from his slumber.

2006, the Turaga found out that Mata Nui is dying, and it is up to the Toa Inika to find the Mask of Life to save Mata Nui.

2007, Matoro revived Mata Nui, then hooray. Mata Nui is not only awoken, but alive.

(This is the part I am having trouble grasping...)

In 2008, Mata Nui needs to be awaken from this slumber (again???) from the Toa Nuva...WAIT WHAT?!?!? I'm confused! Did I miss something, or misinterpret something???

Can someone explain to me why there had to be an excuse for the Bionicle storyline to be even continued in 2008+?

19 Aug 2014, 01:53 #8

For some reason I've got a bit of blank memory around that time, I loosley remember things but nothing in detail.

If anything, maybe the story focus should have shifted, Makuta loses, Mata Nui is awake, makuta lurks off somewhere and maybe they try to retake metru nui and need to face a few adversaries or something keeping key resources from reactivating everything... Instead they had to explain things, there's more makutas and they aren't so mystic now, and stretch out that particular adversary more... Hmm, something about a giant plant named Karzahni pops into my head part way through this thought?
Please keep text and images well managed so they do not become an eyesore, and please only quote or talk about others in your signiture if its alright with the member you are talking about. Want your work featured on our front page? Post it in my to do list!

27 Aug 2014, 20:47 #9

Actually, Mata-Nui is rebirthed, not reawakened. About the 2003 thing, that is something that I've always wondered about.
I'll twist hakann's head so far he can stare himself in the eye
-Vezok

'Yo, yo Piraka' is still alive!!!

02 Dec 2014, 05:40 #10

I wouldn't say he's reborn, exactly. Generally holds connotations that he now exists as a new entity rather than he spent 5-10 minutes dead. But at this point I think I'm being pedantic.
It's not illegal, it's just cheating.

I'm into exam time right now... I'll be checking up frequently, but I don't expect to be posting in the next two weeks or so unless something really catches my eye.